"Exhale" was the theme for the parents at Grace College's freshmen orientation weekend. For me this phrase was very appropriate. I think I started gulping in air about a week ago, as we began the final preparations for Corinne to leave. Just now as I am sitting to type, I am reminding myself to exhale ...
Goodbyes are so hard! I think this is because God created us with a longing for eternity. We want fun times, blessed seasons, and special relationships to go on without end. But until we get to eternity with our Maker, our life will be full of goodbyes.
Over the past week, I watched with anticipation and sadness as God wrote the final pages to this chapter in our lives.
- These final pages included a special time with our church family praying over Corinne and speaking words of truth and encouragement over her.
- They included the blessing of Kevin getting to baptize Corinne in the presence of some our dearest friends and family.
- They included a special family time of loving on Corinne and praying over her. The little ones presented her with pictures they made. Hollie gave her a memory box. I made a scrap book. And then we all watched a dvd slide show of memories from the past 10 years. Corinne then said her goodbyes to the little four, and we all had a big sob-fest.
- These final pages included the excitement of setting up Corinne's dorm room and meeting roommates, dormmates, faculty members, and various student leaders who will play a role in Corinne's life over the coming weeks and months.
- The final pages included two worship services at Grace, where the presence of God was very evident. This cemented in our hearts and minds that Corinne is right where God would have her.
- And of course they included our final hugs and the loooong drive home.
This chapter has come to a close. We will go back and re-visit the memories of these pages often. I anticipate there will be more tears here and there, as we continue to discover and be reminded of things that are now a part of the past. But the story is not over, and so we look with anticipation to the next chapter that God already started writing as soon as our car left the campus parking lot.
One the professors from Grace shared some words of wisdom to parents that spoke to my heart. I think they are the beginning words for the next chapter:
Step Back
Be Amazed
Watch
Pray
And I'll add ... exhale

3 comments:
Again tears streaming down my face. You need to write a book. :) Peace being sent to you.....
Exhale and KNOW that God has His hands on her and placed her in a perfect spot for this next season.
Love you!
Molly
Sheri,
As a college professor. . .I just have to echo that professor's words. . .AND yours. That girl is going to do great things. . .you have provided INCREDIBLY fertile soil for that beautiful seed of a woman and God is going to do amazing things through her. Prepare not just to be amazed, but to be completely BLOWN AWAY.
SJ
Post a Comment