Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fingerprints - ALWAYS an Adventure

Our fingerprints with the US Citizens and Immigration Services (USCIS) expired this month. Oddly enough, Kevin's expired three days before mine, even though we had them taken on the same day in February of 2007. So we got up at 4:45 this morning to drive up to Naperville for our 8:00 am appointment. (I think with some States you can request a time for your appt. In Illilnois, you take what they give you.)


We were feeling good about not hitting any traffic and were about 10th in line outside the office before they even opened. That good feeling ended when the line started moving, and the couple in front of us handed the processor one appointment letter for the husband and one for the wife. We only had ONE letter. Since we only had one 171H form with both of our fingerprint expiration dates on the same letter, I didn't question that we had only received one letter for our appointment. Yikes. Sure enough when it was our turn, she said we were supposed to each have our own letter. She then put it aside in a tray for the supervisor to reivew, told us to have a seat, and then continued checking everyone else in line in, which was very long at this point. I told Kevin "we just need to pray".

After a few more people, there was someone else in line with an issue. His appointment wasn't scheduled until this Friday, but he was leaving for China on Thursday. They were not very nice to him (in fact I think you need special training to be this rude) and put his letter in the same pile as ours. Hmmm - pray more. After awhile I saw someone take our letter in to the supervisor's office. More waiting. Then the supervisor came out and had a rude argument with the man going to China. Not looking like they are in a good mood - pray harder.

Then the supervisor came out and called our name. She asked where our receipt was. I said we only got the letter. And she asked again where our receipt was. And then I told her I sent a money order, but we were eligible for one free update, so they returned the money order. She then asked why I had brought the 171H. I said to show that both of our fingerprints had expired. But we only got one letter? Yes that is correct. Have a seat. Back into her office. More praying!

While we were waiting they yelled at the China man somemore about NEVER being able to come in BEFORE your appointment date, but you could always reschedule AFTER your appointment date. After an hour, she finally called us again and said the reason I didn't get a letter was because my appointment wasn't until next Friday on August 1st, which is why they hadn't mailed my letter yet. Great - we're here BEFORE my appointment date. I made a comment (VERY nicely!) that it didn't make sense that they made our appointments on separate days. (I guess it related back to our original prints expiring on different days). She said "No it doesn't make sense, but it's not a problem. I printed your sheet so you can get your prints done today." Yeah, no second trip to make! Prayers answered! Exhale slowly ...

Prov 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk upright.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Good gravy!

Melissa Juvinall said...

Wow. We need to send our letter this month requesting new fingerprints. Ugh. So thankful God is in control!

Lisa4Him said...

Yaaaaah, God!!!!!!!! Do you know how things worked out for the man going to China?

Ethiopianmomma said...

Oh my gosh, I remember this. We had HORRIBLE experiences with the RUDE RUDE RUDE fingerprint people. God saved us each time and helped us to get all that we needed accomplished. We were in the fingerprint office just a DAY before I left for Ethiopia and trying to update my fingerprints. My heart was just beating fast reading your post! I am so glad its over for you and that its all said and done. I have thought so many times about writing a letter to someone about adoptive parents experience at the fingerprint office!
What happened to the man who was leaving for China?

Pamela Dawn said...

Hi! WOW, I guess INS people are all the same in everystae (except in Charleston,SC!! They were wonderful!) But in several other states, they were NOT! Our fingerprints have expired and so we have to do it again too. .. I read your last blog about words. When people say all kinds of things to us (our family is a bit "different") I bit my lip and really try to say things back to them that will encourage MY children who are hearing this stuff! It is a bit of a trial and I am so thankful that God gets it- and really alot of other people do to-You are adopting a sibling group? Do you know how many and ages, etc? That is so neat and I'll be remembering to pray for you and your family. Blessings, Pam

Branderblog said...

Sherry...
We can so relate...I had to get up at the same time to make an 8 am appt on the 15th..and Tom had his this last Saturday...without any explanation we went from getting a clearance date on which we are ok to go..to having separate appts. It was very confusing and also not very effective time wise or cost of gas...We're just hoping its our last time...this will be number 3 for this adoption...and thankfully the only free one we have ever gotten. Someone please tell me how your fingerprints expire?

Branderblog said...

Sherry...
We can so relate...I had to get up at the same time to make an 8 am appt on the 15th..and Tom had his this last Saturday...without any explanation we went from getting a clearance date on which we are ok to go..to having separate appts. It was very confusing and also not very effective time wise or cost of gas...We're just hoping its our last time...this will be number 3 for this adoption...and thankfully the only free one we have ever gotten. Someone please tell me how your fingerprints expire?

Ethiopianmomma said...

Hey, we heard some interesting news about Ethiopian adoption this week that I want to share with you. We need to be in prayer about it. I will give you a call tomorrow.

Katie

Rebecca Caldwell said...

Whoo! What an ordeal! Glad it turned out okay.

Jori said...

How FUNNY!!! (in a weird way!) I just talked on the phone with a worker from homeland sec. that called ME!! She only has had our request for a little over a week, called to let me know, set up an appointment and made it on a friday afternoon for both of us since we have to drive 2 and 1/2 hours!! I was (am) in shock!! I love the process when it works ~ when I can talk to a real person!!
Jori
DTE 02/19 either x2
P.S. ~ Is the man going to china ok??