Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What do you do if you are hungry?

Today I took Isaiah to do a Gessell test to assess his readiness for Kindergarten in the Fall. I sat out in the hall, but heard most of the questions asked. There was quite of bit of language barrier going on, and it was hard for me not to poke my head in to help. I kind of felt like a mom who knows how to communicate with her toddler when no one else does. (Actually a sweet realization that I understand him and communicate better with him than anyone else can.) But I did was I was supposed to and stayed glued to my chair, without interrupting the testing.

At one point, however, a question was asked that brought me to tears. The assessor asked Isaiah "What do you do if you are hungry?" Isaiah was completely silent. He had no answer. For a moment I thought maybe he didn't understand the question of "what do you do?" But then he was able to answer "What do you do if you are tired?" He said "nigh-night". My heart was broken in two for him. He knows what it is like to be hungry, and he does not know the answer to what you do about that.

The more I thought about this, I also pondered how fortunate we are to live in a place where this is considered a standard question to see if a child is ready for Kindergarten. There is just an assumption that every child in this country knows that when you are hungry you go to the fridge or the pantry or you ask your mom for some food. Not so for SO many in this world.

Thank you God for showing me another little piece of your heart today. I want my heart to break for the things that break your heart. And I want to take action to what you call me to do to help fix the brokenness in this world - Even if its just loving and caring for three little hungry children.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Thank you for sharing that Sherry! I cried when I read it. It's heart breaking to realize that that is reality for so many children in this world, but I am thankful for the times that God opens my eyes to that and continues to break my heart for what breaks His. And praise God, that He has provided Isaiah with a family where he will be able to learn that when he is hungry that need will be met! Love you guys and continually praying for you!
~Jenna

Karen said...

Sherry - thank you for sharing your heart! Such a great reminder of the truth in our children's past. We are so fortunate and yet there are so many hurting and hungry children in the world. We need to let it break our hearts so that we are compelled to do something to make a difference! with love, Karen Wistrom

milreb said...

Thank you for posting that. Wow, that went straight for my heart. The things our children teach us. I am grateful to have found your blog. We seriously considered adopting 3 siblings with significant hunger issues. We are learning from you and appreciate your willingness to share your experience.

the Garrisons said...

Oh, Sherry....this post broke my heart. For Isaiah, yes....but his help has come - It broke for the millions who are still hungry and waiting for their help.
Thank you for sharing.
-Kathy

Susan Pappas said...

Thank you for opening my eyes, Sherry. Continued prayers for all of you! Susan

Nikki said...

I have so enjoyed following your story, and even more now that our three are home. I thought of you once when we were in ET and one of our girls was pretty aggressive in a restaurant about wanting a beer. I remember you talking of a similar situation.

We've been home a week and a half and yet it feels like so much longer. The kids say no to everything, even if it is something I know they like or want. One minute they are the sweetest children, and the next minute it is WW III in our house. Without wishing away the time, I look forward to being a year down the road and looking back on these difficult days. But there is hope and God's grace is sufficient. He's been so faithful to provide His strength when we had none.

Thinking of you-

Anonymous said...

wE ARE LOOKING INTO A rWANDA ADOPTION and looking for any advice financially on things. We have 4 children under 6 and looking for a little girl for my 3 year old. Just unsure about things. Looking for any advice or thoughts and guidance on anything. Thanks and God Bless. Jill from WI
funk50@cahrter.net

Debi said...

Sherry,
Thanks for sharing. It is so hard to think of the kids out there who reall have no way to feed their tummies, so they just deal with it. We take so much for granted here.
I am so thankful that Isaiah, Josiah and Lydia are now home and will quickly learn what to do when they are hungry.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi