One of the highlights of our Branson trip was going to see Noah the Musical. This is such a beautiful story of God’s faithfulness to keep His promises. Watching Noah’s faith and trust brought tears to my eyes at several points in the play. My absolute favorite line was when Noah returned broken and beaten from a journey to get supplies and he says “Well it didn’t turn out like we thought it would, but our faith has grown.”
I don’t know one family that has gone through the adoption process that couldn’t use that phrase to describe at least one phase of their journey. I know I can personally say that my faith has grown incredibly in the past year and a half. I have been stretched to the point I thought I would break (but didn’t). I trust God to depths I never have before.
I spent some time today reading Genesis 5-9 detailing the full Biblical account of Noah. What a hero of faith He was. I can so relate to him, in my own adoption journey, although obviously on a much smaller scale.
-I know without a doubt that God called us to adopt, just as Noah knew without a doubt that God called him to build a boat.
-I don’t know how long the process will take, although it’s taking longer than I could have imagined. Did you know it took Noah 70 or 80 years to build the ark? And he was on the ark a full year, even though he was only told that it would rain for 40 days and nights. Do you think he imagined it would take another 300+ days for the land to dry out?
-Noah did not know how things were going to look when he got to the other side of the storm. I don’t know how this thing will look when we receive our child(ren). I don’t know when we’ll get our referral call. I don’t know how many children we will have. I don’t know how old or young they will be. I don’t know if they will be boys or girls. I don’t know if their hearts will be happy or broken. I don’t know …
But when I ponder what has been at the root of my faith growing so much this past year, it has been about letting God control EVERY detail without me knowing any of it. I have had to open my hands wide (although there have been moments He was prying fingers). I trust Him.
As I meditated on this today, an old hymn came to mind:
I don’t know one family that has gone through the adoption process that couldn’t use that phrase to describe at least one phase of their journey. I know I can personally say that my faith has grown incredibly in the past year and a half. I have been stretched to the point I thought I would break (but didn’t). I trust God to depths I never have before.
I spent some time today reading Genesis 5-9 detailing the full Biblical account of Noah. What a hero of faith He was. I can so relate to him, in my own adoption journey, although obviously on a much smaller scale.
-I know without a doubt that God called us to adopt, just as Noah knew without a doubt that God called him to build a boat.
-I don’t know how long the process will take, although it’s taking longer than I could have imagined. Did you know it took Noah 70 or 80 years to build the ark? And he was on the ark a full year, even though he was only told that it would rain for 40 days and nights. Do you think he imagined it would take another 300+ days for the land to dry out?
-Noah did not know how things were going to look when he got to the other side of the storm. I don’t know how this thing will look when we receive our child(ren). I don’t know when we’ll get our referral call. I don’t know how many children we will have. I don’t know how old or young they will be. I don’t know if they will be boys or girls. I don’t know if their hearts will be happy or broken. I don’t know …
But when I ponder what has been at the root of my faith growing so much this past year, it has been about letting God control EVERY detail without me knowing any of it. I have had to open my hands wide (although there have been moments He was prying fingers). I trust Him.
As I meditated on this today, an old hymn came to mind:
’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know “Thus saith the Lord!”
Refrain: Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’erJesus,
Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!
.
.
Psalm 31:14 “But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."


0 comments:
Post a Comment