Sunday, April 26, 2009

He Can Move the Mountains!




Savior He can move the mountains. Our God is mighty to save.
He is mighty to save.

This song has been my theme song for our adoption. Its words are so rich and have been woven through these past months in so many ways.

Back in December, after failing our first court date, my friend Kim had another friend Kara make us necklaces with a map of Ethiopia and raised gold beads to represent the mountains. Kim said this was our tangible reminder that we were going to climb mountains together until we got our children home.

In January, the night before we had court, Kevin, the girls, and I had an amazing worship service. We were all gathered on the living room floor, just sharing scriptures, praying, and listening to songs, as the Lord led. We played the song “He Can Move the Mountains”. And I believed with EVERYTHING I had, that He COULD move the mountains that needed moved that day. But .... He didn't.

That first Sunday at church after we failed our January court date, we sang“He Can Move the Mountains”. I remember with tears streaming down myself talking with God and saying “You CAN move mountains, but you DIDN’T. Why?”

February was an intense spiritual time for me of trying to understand why God didn’t choose to move mountains, even though He could. I saw Him moving mountains for others, but not for us. It was a hard few weeks. And after MUCH battling, I resolved that I am not God. His ways are higher than mine. I couldn’t understand why He didn’t move the mountains. But I trusted with everything in me, that His reasons for not moving them were so much greater than my reasons for wanting them moved. A friend, Tom, preached last week at church that God doesn’t only answer prayers, Yes, No, or Maybe. Sometimes there is a fourth option, which is that He is going to do immeasurably more than we could even ask or imagine. And I believe that this was His answer to us. We learned to rest in His timing and trust His purposes.

In March, we went for a little Spring Break get away to one of our favorite places, Big Cedar Resort, down by Branson. We have several adoption friends down there, and so we met up with them at their church Sunday morning. That week the pastor preached on God working providentially, even when we couldn’t see it. I felt like that sermon was written just for me. And then the service closed with the song, “Savior He can move the mountains. Our God is Mighty to Save.” I sang it once again with tears streaming down my face. Yes Lord I hear you. You are working on behalf of our children and you WILL move those mountains, when YOUR timing is perfect.

In April, when our paperwork finally got signed, I felt like I spent the entire day crying. I was just overwhelmed with God finally moving this mountain we had waited so long for. We visited my parent’s church that Sunday morning, and on the way in I had a conversation with God that I would just love it if “He Can Move the Mountains” just happened to be part of the service that morning. And you guessed it ... it was one of the songs we sang that day. (Don’t you just love HIM?!)

Three days after we got our court date, we had the blessing of going to the Steven Curtis Chapman/Michael W. Smith United Tour. And of course I was on my feet, tears streaming down my face, praising Him once again, as I heard this song live. Yes Lord you are Mighty to Save! You can move mountains!

Earlier this week, when we re-worked out “passing court video”, I really wanted this song to be part of it. And as you all know by now, I had so many slides, that we really did need a second song added. LOL! The morning we passed court, I posted the video and then played it one more time before heading off to work. Kaden, our three year old, was in the room with me playing. And all of a sudden, he stopped playing and said “It said God can move the mountains.” I said “That’s right buddy, He can.” And then he got up and pointed at the video pictures of Isaiah, Josiah, and Lydia and said “Even for them?” Through my sobs, I said “Yes ESPECIALLY for them.”

Savior you CAN move the Mountains!
And you ARE mighty to Save!
Your timing it PERFECT!
Our faith has grown!

Psalm 97:5
The mountains melt like wax before the LORD,
before the Lord of all the earth.

Isaiah 45:2
I will go before you
and will level the mountains
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.

10 comments:

Kari said...

Sherry,
This is just beautiful...His ways are so mighty. I'm so blessed to know you & so thankful you were able to come to our church and hear Pastor John...what a special day!!
We are ecstatic for your family and can't wait to stalk your journey in Ethiopia.
Thank you for reminding us today...God WILL move the mountains, but in His perfect timing. He is faithful.
We have a few mountains we need moved...please pray for our family!
love you lots

Susan Pappas said...

I am so happy for you - words can't express it. Your posts have brought me many tears and have reaffirmed my faith as well. Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait until you bring them home and share the emotions with us. You have a way with words - I think you should write a book. :-) Some church friends of ours who adopted a girl from China after having two birth sons shared that she had the exact same feelings when her adopted daughter was placed in her arms as when her sons were born from her. How awesome! God works in wonderful ways, and I am so enjoying how he is working in your lives especially right now. Peace to all of you......Susan

Amy O said...

Congrats! Melissa sent us the news. We are sooooo happy for you all!
~Amy Oun

Mike and Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike and Amy said...

God's amazingness (not sure if that's a word!) is soooo awesome!!
In His Love,
Amy

Nathan Ghantous said...

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

Your children are beautiful, when you find out please post the time of your return, I would very much so love to be there.

taylor said...

Like we prayed at church yesterday, you guys have been battling a battle and it has been so cool to see God bring you out of these and be victorious!! God brought you thru situations that we couldn't possibly think would happen!!!! Praising God for bringing you to the finish line!!!!! Our God is MIGHTY TO SAVE!!

Anxiously awaiting the day Isaiah, Josiah, and Lydia are in your arms!!!
~Taylor

John and Heather said...

Oh I'm so happy for your family! I finally got on the computer to look at your blog and what exciting news! Your children are beautiful and we look so forward to meeting them! Praising God with you...what a blessing these children are going to be! Awesome, just awesome!
Blessings,
The Needles family

Debi said...

Sherry,
thanks for sharing your heart again so beautifully.
God really does have a way of using worship songs to give us strength. It was the Wednesday night before the last court date, during our worship and prayer service, when we sang "Mighty to Save" that your family was in heart to pray for you. It felt like that was the breakthrough- from contending in battle to knowing that it is done and rejoicing in victory.
We can be so thankful for our Mighty God whose ways and timing are not ours but they are perfect.

Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Jaime said...

Wow. We sang this song the week after you passed court, and of course, i thought of you. i don't know if i will ever hear that song again without remembering ethiopia and to pray for all the children waiting and dreaming of families.