Wednesday, May 13, 2009

He is Mighty to Save - Embassy Appt

Well we got all the kids to sleep by 9:20 pm last night and they slept until 4:30 am this morning and stayed in bed until 6:30, so we will definitely claim that as victory! We've had power today, so we have been able to read all of your comments. The tears just pour as we read them. They are water to our soul!

This morning was a little rough. We were at the hotel until noon, so we had play time with the kids for five and a half hours in a hotel. There was lots of hitting, running away, crying, calling each other "ca-ca" (poop). And Lydia is really grieving today. She is not happy with me at all. I had her in the sling and she cried and cried. The hotel staff actually called our room to see if they could hire a babysitter to help us. Very humbling!

Then we went for our Embassy appointment. This is where you get the visa approval to bring the kids home. We waited an hour and a half and then they called us up. We heard the staff person call a supervisor over and they had a conversation about whether our I600a was expired. It's good until May 2010, so maybe our updated one never really made it. I was mouthing the words "pray" to Kevin. And then they seemed to be ok with it.

THEN they asked us about the kids birth parents. When they found out they were both still alive it became a BIG problem, because they evidently stopped doing adoptions when both birth parents are alive months ago. One needs to be deceased or they both need to be HIV+. We were freaking out a little, as he kept asking questions and saying he couldn't approve it. Finally, he told Robel to tell Duni they cannot do this anymore and he stamped our paper and said congratulations. We went down the stairs where the Redding family and Corinne and Hollie were waiting and I just lost it. These children truly, truly should not be coming home except by the grace and plan of God. I feel so inadequate to be a part of this plan and so humbled that he chose us. I cannot wait to see the plans He has for these kids, because I know he did not rescue them from such strongholds down to the last piece of paper we needed without having BIG plans for them.

Our next two days are "free" days, as we are now just waiting for the kids passports. We will get these on Friday and fly out Friday night. Our goal is to have less tears each day (both the kids and us!) We are counting down the hours!!

24 comments:

Melodie Monberg said...

What a story! I am reminded each day that God moves mountains. Your story and your courage to share it has been such an encouragement to me as we walk in your steps! May your flight home be uneventful and full of LOTS OF SLEEP! smile

Melodie Monberg
www.themonbergs.com

Mary said...

Hello Semlow family!

I've been following your blog for a few months and praying for you. My husband was in touch with Kevin via e-mail before you left, as he knows their paths have crossed when he was on a state committee for Farm Bureau. Kevin shared your blog with him, and come to find out - it was one I had been following for a few months. It has been amazing and inspiring to watch the "mountains move" for your adoptions. Hold tight to the Lord as He carries you through this journey to be a light in the darkness to these precious children. It will get easier - and once you get home and get into a routine, they will thrive in the love of your family.

We hope to travel mid-June to pick up our 8 & 10 year old Ethiopian kids. They will join our 4 others, two of which came home from Ethiopia this time last year. How blessed we have been by adoption!

Enjoy your free days and we will be praying for you as you journey home and adjust to your new family.

Blessings,
Mary

The Millers said...

Kevin and Sherry,

It is so good to hear the good news! God is truly "mighty to save".

As I read the blog from yesterday and then today's I was so struck by the word pictures that reflect how we humans are as we relate to God's gift of salvation.

We are so possessive of our everyday clothes and won't let go of them, even though God wants to replace them with royal robes.

We are so possessive of our toys and won't share them even though He is clear that when we surrender we gain so much more than we can imagine.

Your children are just a glimpse of what God deals with in us. I pray that these days, as painful as they are, remain fresh memories as a reminder of how GREAT God's grace to us is.

Jaime said...

Sherry, you live a very eventful life! Praise Jesus...he is mighty to save!!

Pete Juvinall said...

Hey Semlows! I can't imagine how stressful that was. I remember that being a really stressful day, but throwing the problems in really would have made that worse. But you know what? You're coming back to a community that loves you and will be waiting for you and will jump over backwards to minister to your needs.

You also know what? :) You are where the rubber meets the road. Where God's purposes and plans for the world and these children become reality because of your actions. This is a valley, but man, you get to see God work in visible ways; you are staring at the business end of God's will.

There will be *nothing* that can stand in the way of God's intentions to give these children hope and a future. God proved today that he has designs on them and you.

We love you! We can't to meet the kids again and love on you when you get home. In the meantime, we'll be praying that God continues to show himself to you over there.

Fight the good fight,

--pete

Anonymous said...

Thankful, that you were able to get some rest last night and that today went amazing. God knows what he is doing, you have taken this leap of Faith, trust in that Faith, He won't leave you.

Love to all of you. Tell Hollie we miss her! :)

Karin

Shelba said...

What a trying couple of days you've had! Even though the children are trying to adjust to all of the changes in their lives, they already know how lucky they are to have you as their new family. Just remember that, with God's help as the struggles become easier to cope with, the memories will be unbelievable!
Looking forward to seeing you back home.
Shelba

Sanders Family said...

Hey Semlows! now I'm a 16 year old boy so the words are a little harder to come by in expressing how much my heart goes out to you guys!, but one thing that always comes to mind is knowing that God would not have given you these kiddos if he knew you couldn't handle all the situations and tough times that come with them. He has given you these precious children because He KNOWS through Him you have the strength to get through the rough days! Keep this in your mind when you feel like you can't do it or have had enough. He'll always be there all you have to do is call His name!:)

PTL! for your favor in the visa office God is completely and utterly immmersed in this adoption!
Can't wait to see y'all!!

Elliot

The Damkoehlers said...

Semlows,

Reminiscent to hear how Lydia is responding. When we had Nina the first few days in China, she "tolerated" Nancy and despised me. She was okay with me as long as I didn't make eye contact with her or breathe too frequently :)

Within 5 days, she began to really open up to us. It was like "Extreme Makeover: Adoption Edition" . . . she REALLY changed. I suspect a similar transition with Lydia.

Food issues were very similar too. Nina fiercely held onto any food she could get, but WOULD NOT eat it. This changed after about 5 days of not drinking and eating very little.

We still have food issues now. We can't get her to STOP eating :)

Praying for great sleep for you tonight and some "bonding moments" tomorrow!

Jason and Nancy

Katie Redfern said...

Sherry,
I know you feel in adequate, but the reality is... you ARE. BUT, you are NOT alone in this, either!! God picks weak, inadequate vessels (we all are) on purpose, because:


2 Cor 12:9 "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Believe this, sister. These verses are for YOU, if ever they were for anybody! God is your refuge & your strength, an ever-present help in time of trouble... (Read Psalm 46!)

Praying for you & your whole family. He WILL help you & give you all that you need... Rom 8:32 - He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Sorry to be so long! :) Just trying to encourage you & give you plenty of truth to cling to! Blessings!

Kari said...

Sherry, I wish I could give you a big hug today. What a miracle story, but I know you're nerves are maxed. I'm praying specifically for energy & supernatural strength to make it home. I can't imagine what you felt like at the Embassy...God is so faithful & merciful!!! We are praying fervently & can't wait to hear you're on the airplane home.
Thank God your girls are there with you & hubby. They will be a tremendous help!!!
We love you!
Kari

Erica said...

What a journey this adoption has taken your family on but oh my, hasn't God shown-up in a mighty way! You are covered in prayer!

Erica R.

Rebecca Caldwell said...

WOw! Your family has such an amazing story- As hard as it has been I can only imagine how your relationship with the Lord has been deepened through all this! What a blessing you are going to be to these children! Praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Semlows!

We have been praying for you!!

So glad to hear that your Embassy appt. worked out. God is just showing Himself faithful time and time again for you guys.

Psalm 145:17-21 "The LORD is righteous in all His ways, gracious in all His works. The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. The LORD preserves all who love Him, But all the wicked He will destroy. My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD, and all flesh shall bless His holy name Forever and ever." We know that God will give you wisdom and mercy for each moment as you cry out to Him and ask.

This is our prayer for your kids (and you): Proverbs 3:24 "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet." We are praying for this while you sleep at night while there. We will also pray for some "sweetness" on the long trip home.

We can't wait to meet your beautiful kids!

The Houchins

kim said...

Wow Sherry,

God must definately have some big plans for these kidos :) I am praying for you nerves and for Friday to get here fast for you all. Even though it will be hard being at home I can only think it will be a little better being in your own place and back in your own home. I wish I lived closer so I could come and just help with whatever needs to be done. Praying for safe, calm, and easy travels!!!!

Love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I enjoy reading your updates, and hope you have a great trip home! Hang in there!
Robyn

Molly said...

So I have totally lost track of the number of mountains God has moved.... this story of your children just keeps getting BETTER AND BETTER. Giving MORE and MORE glory to our amazing God!!

I prayed all day for you guys while I filed charts at work and did monotenous tasks at the office lol. The Lord keeps bringing me back to Isaiah 61, but this time He kept bringing to mind verse 3:
to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor."

I was just praying this over your kids and your family, that God would just bring about miraculous transformations and give your children crowns of beauty, garments of praise, and that they will be little rays of Jesus' light, displaying His splendor and power.

Thank you for being so transparent and letting us rejoice, pray, and cry right along with you.

Love y'all!!
Molly

Sawickipedia said...

Wow. That is amazing. Nothing short of a miracle.
I'm so grateful that God placed you all in my life because I learn so much from you.
You're in my prayers, and I can't wait to see you and the kids all face to face.

~So

Katrina said...

Hello Official Family of "8"!!!

Our whole family is praying and thinking of you guys! It is an exciting thought to imagine what eternal purposes God has in store for your family with the addition of your 3 miracle children!

I did have to chuckle though Sherry when I read your words about the BIG plans that God has for your little ones as I thought, "Oh yes.... He does indeed have some glorious plans for those special kids but.... boy oh boy, it sure looks like God has some very BIG plans for the Semlows and those of us observing their life too! Ha ha!

I was reminded of a book I once read by Christian author and counsler Dan Allendar entitled How Children Raise Parents. In the book Allendar relates how God reveals Himself to us through our children and uses them to "grow us up" just as much if not more than He uses us to train them! Isn't that the truth! Parenting is one wonderful but humbling experience!

He asked some thought pondering questions which have always stuck in my mind such as, "What lessons have you learned from your children?" and "How have your children changed, transformed and redeemed your life?" I thought, "Wow, over the last two years of trusting God and waiting, you guys have already learned incredibly rich lessons and your journey has just begun!" That is exciting too!

I'll leave you with a quote from Allendar's book. He said, "I wrote this book because my children have, more deeply than any other person in my life, invited me to know and trust God." "Our children are the expert guides we need if we ever hope to brush up close against God."

I know you guys can realte to that!

As Moses was when he grew weary in the battle and couldn't hold up his arms alone, you too are weary but you've got a whole army over here holding up your arms in prayer!

Love,
Katrina

Branderblog said...

Sherry, Kevin, Corrine and Holly.
This is not an easy road. You are in unfamiliar land, in a place that is not your home with three strangers who do not speak your language. Your tears and frustration are very normal and very expected and good for you!!!! Let them flow. It is overwhelming.
It is also the same for the children and I am sure you have thought of this, but they have no vision of the US, just like we have no idea of Heaven. We kick and scream and call each other names here in our own way not realizing the magnitude of what we are to be given. The chaos and stress are normal, do what you can to stay healthy and grounded in the word.

Branderblog said...

lso normal. Tom had to deal with Ben giving us the bird in Russia...not knowing if the bird was a universal symbol...well we confirmed it was..and next time we saw it delt with it in his language as forbidden. He still remembers to this day Tom asserting his fatherhood with authority. Give it some prayer and give them some grieving space. Bonding will come easier when you are in the US, right now anyone Ethopian speaking their language is an easier authority..and if you need the sitter for a break take it! You are only as good as you are refreshed and refuled!
Love and Prayers.
Rhonda

Sullivans said...

Hey guys, I was up early today and had a little time to catch up on the last few days of your blog. This morning I will have the women of my Bible Study stop and spend time in prayer for all of you. I know it's hard now and it may not get any easier for a long time but you have the strength of the Holy Spirit every moment of every day. Just keep repeating Isaiah 29:11 and believe what it says! Love, Jen

Nikki said...

Praying for your family, holding you in our thoughts. We're so glad to be able to follow your story and lift you all in prayer before the Lord.

Kelly Semlow-Smith said...

Wow!
What can I say "He is Mighty"! I can only imagine the confusion and fear that the kids are going through. I agree that they are meant to do great things as are your girls. The stories that can be shared. God Bless you for never giving up. Just think of the support and help you'll get when you get home. It will be awesome. Your very belssed to have sucha strong support system. Be blessed and accept help! We love you and continue to pray for good health and safe travel.