Thursday, May 7, 2009

We Made It!

We made it to Addis Ababa a few hours ago.  Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! 
 
The flight went well.  No troubles with any connections or bags.  It was long but not unbearable.  And even though we couldn't get off plane in Rome, they opened the back door to load food and we were able to stand by it and get a little fresh air.  We had a little7 or 8 year old boy named Arone sitting in front of us. We aren't sure what all his challenges were but he couldn't speak and had a few rough melt downs.  He was traveling alone with the most patient father.  The girls were able to share stickers with him, which calmed him right down.  There were high fives and sweet kisses for his daddy after he did all the stickers.  Corinne made a sock puppet for him.  And he was fascinated with Hollie's blue fingernail polish, so he kept wanting to hold her hand.  It was sweet to see them being a blessing to this sweet boy and his dad. 
 
About 20 minutes before landing, I got overwhelmed with emotion, knowing we are FINALLY here!
 
We got our visas and exchanged money at the airport and then met the driver and guide America World had sent to pick us up.  When we got out to the parking lot with our suitcases, there were about 5 men who started climbing on top of the van to load them up there.  I have no idea where these guys came from.  They kept asking us for tips and Kevin kept telling them T our guide was in charge.  T didn't think we should tip them, but I'm a softy so we ended up giving them each a little.
 
It was dark, so we just got small glimpses of the city as we drove to the guest house.  Lots of poverty.  The traffic wasn't bad at all, although I did make one huge gasp when a car started pulling out in front of us. I'll have to learn to control that, as this would be a normal occurrence here.
 
Robel stopped by to meet us shortly after we arrived at the guest house.  He will be our guide for most of the week.  We are staying at the Yesabi.  We have two bedrooms, 2 baths, a sitting area, and mini kitchen.  It's clean and nice.  It will work well when we get the kids here too. 
 
We ordered  a cheese pizza through the front desk. It was interesting, because it didn't have any sauce.  But it was ok.  We're all feeling a little "off" from the long flight and altitude and tiredness, so we weren't overly hungry anyhow.  We took what we had left down to the guest home guards to eat.
 
We then had a knock on our door from Tia Parks.  She flew in a few days ago because they baby they are adopting had to have emergency brain surgery.  The surgery did not go well.  The medical conditions she has observed are down right scary in terms of lack of supplies and sanitary conditions.  Miracuoulsy, Tess is out of ICU but they did not pass court today.  (MOW@ did not write any letters.)  So they are praying that tomorrow they will pass court.  They are also adopting a 7 year old boy, Sam.  It felt good to sit down with Tia and let her share her week with us.  I cannot imagine what she has been through!  Her husband David will arrive on Saturday.  Please be praying for their family!
 
Tomorrow we are going down to Awasa to meet the childrens birth mom.  We are praying that this is a good experience for both her and us.  We have so much we want to ask her and so much we want to share with her.  We will stay the night in Awasa and then come back to Addis Ababa on Saturday, because the drive is about 6 hours each way. 
 
Well I need to get some sleep in before the 4 am prayers and dog barking starts.  Thanks for your prayers and comments.

17 comments:

Sanders Family said...

hey guys!

WOW to think y'all r finally there is so AWESOME! we will b in major prayer as y'all see the birth parents tomorrow we know that will be an emotional time can't wait for more posts and pictures!!!!

-Elliot

Debi said...

Hi Semlows!!
YOU ARE THERE!!!!
I am just so amazed at God's divine appointments for you already with the young boy and Tia.
I pray for your health and strength and for God's grace to cover you on this amazing journey.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Becky Lee Burk said...

Sherry, I'm just so excited for you guys to be there and have all these experiences finally!!! I can't believe we've been home 4 months and you are only just getting there. Thank you for the update on the Parks' I appreciate hearing about them, I've been so worried. Enjoy every minute and I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Molly said...

YAAY!! You're there!! FINALLY!! :)

Can't wait to hear how your visit tommorow goes. Praying for God to move mightily and for it to be an awesome experience!

Love ya,
Molly

Amy said...

So Praising the Lord for your arrival. Praising Him GREATLY for internet conncetion to allow you to keep us updated on the last 24 hours! Sounds like He is already blessing you with some devine appointments. Know that our prayers will be all over your time with b-mom. Praying so much that she will see Jesus and desire Him!! Praying that translation is good and the visit is LONG. Today I have been reminded of Joshua 1. Semlows, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, Do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you WHEVER YOU MAY GO! I know you have been putting this into practice over the last 2 and half years, but the next 8 days will require it of you in new ways.

Corrine and Hollie...I can just see you caring for that little boy on the plane! Did you just happen to have supplies for a sock puppet on hand, or did you sacrifice one of your own? I just pictured you with one cold foot. :)
Libi missed you Corrine on Wednesday!

love to you all!
Amy

word verification...godsma :)

Melissa Juvinall said...

Hi friends! We miss you already but we are THRILLED you made it safely and are experiencing ET FINALLY!! Please give Robel a big hug for us and tell him how much we miss him. And please give our love to Iona's nanny, Muluwork. May your trip to Awassa tomorrow be a BLESSING even when it's hard. We are praying a ton for you!!

Pete Juvinall said...

Hey Semlows! :)

It's good to see you've made it. I remember feeling so overwhelmed flying into Bole.

We love you guys and are praying for you trip (today)!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. :)

taylor said...

Hey Semlows!!

YAY!! You made it!! I kept thinking today, "I can't believe they are finally at this point" PTL!!!! We will definately be praying for you guys as you meet with the birth mother tomorrow!! May God continue to bless you on this journey!! This will be one trip you will never forget!! We love you guys!

Taylor

The Millers said...

Hi Semlows,

We are so excited for you and looking forward to hearing and seeing everything you experience. Melissa and I had a laugh about the car pulling out. You do get used to it!

We laughed about Corrine's sock puppet--for such a time as this...even on an airplane over the Atlantic.

You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Chad

I am so glad you are there!!! The Lord kept waking me up during the night to pray for you, Sherry so I am so very thankful the flight went well for you. I cannot tell you how many times the kids asked today, "are they there yet?" It was wonderful to finally tell them YES!!! We cannot wait to see what big things the Lord does! Praying for your meeting with the children's mother tomorrow-that God's love will truly radiate from you! We love you!

Melissa

Kari said...

I'm just checking in & so thrilled to see the words....we made it!! You will have the journey of a lifetime meeting birth mother. We will pray for all of you. We are so happy to know the girls are with you. The ET Dream Team...Duni, Robel & Furtuna will take such good care of you:)))
Keep updating when you can.
GUZZLE your water!!!

Katie Redfern said...

So good to hear that you're finally there! And thank-you for giving us an update on the Parks family... I've been waiting to hear any news about them!

Also, Wednesday night we took our youth group to a community-wide youth rally to kick off the Nat'l Day of Prayer. Guess what song we sang? Yep. Mighty to Save. I thought about you the whole time & was thanking God that you were FINALLY on your way!! :)

Ehouchin said...

Hey, Semlows!!

We are so excited for you all!! We will be prayiing for the visit today!! Can't wait for more posts and pictures!!

The Houchins

Shelba said...

I'm so glad you made it to your destination okay and will soon be bringing your children home.

Have safe travel and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers during the days while you are gone.

Shelba

Alyssa Marie said...

so glad you're safe and sound!!! Love you all!

Molly said...

Okay so I am officially stalking your blog lol. As in checking WAY more than I should (even though I KNOW you won't be blogging since you're in Awasa.) Anyway, I did have a reason to post a comment besides rambling on and taking up your precious time in ET.

I just got back from spending the evening with Kaden! My goodness, he is the cutest kid (although, didn't we already know that). I came back and told my mom that I want a son just like kaden when i grow up. We spent 2 hours cuddling and reading books. 24 total. The pile was huge lol. He is doing FANTASTIC and just thought your mommy heart might like to know that, Mrs. Semlow.

Love you all and praying for health and strength for you all as you carry on in this journey! We're looking forward to a picture or 2 and some more God stories! :)

In Him,
Molly

Kathy said...

Hi Semlows!!
You made it! We are so happy and so excited for you guys! We are praying for you!
Love,
the Lipic's

Katrina said...

Hello World Travelers!

We are so excited for you and can't wait to hear about your visit with the kids birth parents. It must be soooo hard to know you are so close to your 3 new additions to your family and yet can't see them quite yet.

Katrina Mitchell