We met the children's birth parents on Friday afternoon. We were able to sit out in an empty courtyard at the hotel under a large umbrella with a circle of chairs. We had T interpreting for us and a moderator that had brought the family to interpret for them. Our children's parents speak Sidima, so the moderator was to translate from Sidima to Amharic, and then T would translate from Amharic to English. It turns out the parents also speak Amharic fairly well, so T was able to get most of what they were saying with a Sidima word he needed help with here or there. We were able to talk for about an hour.
Mom and Dad both came. We did traditional Ethiopian greetings, which is pressing cheeks together on one side, then the other, and then back to the first one. In these initial greetings, there were no words spoken, just communication through eyes, tears, hugs, and smiles. It seemed to take forever to get the chairs set up before we were ready to start talking. My first impression is that Lydia looks just like her birth mom. We were also pleased that dad had come, because previous word was that he might not be there.
The big surprise of the day was that we also had the blessing of meeting our children's 10 year old sister Tekalech. We were totally thrown for a loop by this, as we had previously asked and were told there were no additional siblings. She was a precious little girl who didn't speak a word the whole time. They ordered her a coke to drink, but she seemed too taken in by all the happenings to remember that her coke was there. Her smile was sweet, but cautious and her eyes seemed to try to take everything in. I think Lydia will look very much like her in a few years.
Once the conversation started, Mom and Dad communicated that they loved their children very much, but due to financial hardships they were unable to care for them. They wanted them to have a blessed and peaceful life. They wanted us to love them just the same as we love our other children. Through tears, we assured them that we absolutely would. We told them that we already love their children very much, and that we were incredibly blessed to meet them.
They wanted us to come and visit their home, which of course we couldn't due to distance, time restrictions, and adoption guidelines. They also wanted us to have their address so that we could send updates and pictures. Of course, we couldn't take this either, but we assured them if possible that we would send updates through our adoption agency. They specifically wanted to make sure we all made it safe to America.
We talked about the meaning of the kid's names and how they chose them for each child. This brought up birthdays, because Fasika, means Easter, but we were told his birthday is in January. His parents said he was born on Easter. They also indicated that the kids are 7, 6, and 3 rather than 5, 4, and 2. We are not sure which is more accurate, but we'll try to figure that out down the road. We also found out that they had a 12 year old girl who had died.
We were able to ask mom and dad if they knew Jesus and we could hear them say yes and some dialogue that included the Amharic word for Jesus. Through tears they indicated that it was God that brought our two families together. Kevin prayed a prayer of blessing over their family, and then it was time for them to begin their journey home.
The meeting was very emotional for everyone. Afterwards the four of us went up to our hotel room and sobbed together for a bit and then sat in silence each just trying to process through what we had just been a part of.
For me it just seems so hard to save the children, but leave the family. Is that really what Jesus wants? I would have emptied my pockets to that family, if only we had been allowed. There has to be a better way to care for the families of this world that can't care for their children, than to take the children and say goodbye to the parents. It's just so broken. And yet I have no answers.
How has the country of Ethiopia gotten so poor and so desolate that so many have to suffer? And why did God choose to place us in America, the land of rich and plenty compared to most of the world?
And then little Tekalech … what do I even do with that? Why has God decided that three should be saved and one should not? And yet in humility, I don't want to feel like we are coming in to rescue. Perhaps she is blessed to never know the pain of her mommy and daddy having to give her up. Perhaps she is blessed that she has not spent many lonely nights in an orphanage. Who am I to think I know what is best for her? I can only rest in the hope of her knowledge of Jesus. I pray that she has or will have a relationship with Jesus that means more to her than any amount of money or comforts in life. And I pray that someday Isaiah, Josiah, and Lydia will have the opportunity to meet her.
Our hearts are broken for these loving people who have so little. We are humbled by how much we have and how much we want and how much we waste. We pray that these tangible lessons He is teaching us this week will sink to our very core. They are heart wrenching, they are heart changing. We will never be the same.
As for tomorrow … it is the day we will meet the kids. What a blessed Mother's Day this will be!
Mom and Dad - We've been trying to call but can't get a phone connection. Feel free to try us from your end. The phone number for the hotel is 00251116626108. We are in room 202.
Kaden - We love you very much! We hope you are having fun with grandma and grandpa. How many days are left on your sticker chart? Did you pick something fun from the toy basket today? We miss you!!!!

13 comments:
Wow! What an amazing experience to meet your children's birth family. I will pray as your process this. My tears fall as I read of your brokenness of the new perspective God is giving you.
CCA staff and students have been praying for you all!
Blessings, Jenny
You guys, what an emotion filled day! I am FULL SOBS here.
Emotional, yes, but What a blessing!!! What a GIFT! I can imagine your conflicting emotions.
I thought of Mandy and all that she went through when she choose what was best for her sweet Noah. That is what Isaiah, Josiah and Lydia's parents have done for them. They have made a choice out of LOVE and selflessness. We trust that this sacrifice will be fully understood by their 3 precious children.
I cannot get over the part of the conversation about the Lord. Oh, how I praise! I am in complete AWE as I'm sure you all were of their trust. Blessing beyond blessing to hear them utter Jesus in their language!!!!!!!!!
I am so reminded of times in Scriptures when the "baton is passed". Remember the time, Sherry, when we talked to our High School small group girls about Elijah and Elisha. the passing of the cloak? Elisha so wished that Elijah could stay and finish the work, but Elijah was taken into the Lord's hands and Elisha was left to pick up his cloak and lead the people. Elisha greived the loss of Elijah, but then he did just what God had planned for him to do.
Here you are at the bank of the river, putting on that cloak of family to these 3 little gifts. Tomorrow (today) you will meet and you will begin lead them in God's wisdom and PERFECT plan for their life and yours.
We are proud of you!
We are praying for you!
We love you!!!!!!!!
Amy
My, oh my! It took me a long time to read through this post because my eyes were so full of tears that I had to keep wiping them dry to read the next line.
You are doing a great job of expressing your heart and of helping us visualize the suffering that you see in this culture.
What am impact your adoption story is and will have on the church and it's people.
Thanks for sharing with us!
Katrina
Oh Sherry- I'm stunned by your post. The thought of you looking into the eyes of the parents and having to have that conversation leaves me speechless. Your posting was so vivid. Your words still sting my soul- about there being something broken about taking the children and leaving the parents. I have thought many times that there must be another better way- God's plan A- and as a civilization we just haven't gotten there yet. You CAN know that you, Semlows, ARE God's plan for this time, this season and these children. Your name was given to these little ones from the beginning of time; God knew the times they would live in and had a plan- a GOOD plan for them- to be Semlows, to be His forever and for all of their broken places to be bound up and healed. You were the perfect ones chosen to facilitate that. Rest in that.
I, too, wonder often about why we were destined to be in America and someone else was chosen to be in Africa. For my sanity I can only think in terms of eternity- that these lives we lead which seem so significant (and are to some degree) are as a breath, and that a life of poverty in Africa is but a tiny pothole on an endless road through paradise. REALLY DIFFICULT to get my mind around that one! (Probably because it is a very poor analogy!) Anyway,,,,,, thank you for the sharing of your hearts. We anxiously await every post. Can't wait to see photos if you can get them up!
Much love to you, THe Sanders
Wow! This is so powerful. None of you will ever be the same after this. The perspective it gives you on life is amazing. How self centered and spoiled we are here.
What a blessing for you to have time with their birth parents and see their hearts. This is a treasure you will keep for the rest of your lives. I am overwhelmed for you. We are praying for you guys! Very excited for tomorrow for you! This will be one Mother's Day you will never forget!!
Love, Jill
Hi Sherry and all,
I've been anticipating this post--so anxious about your meeting the kids' birth parents. All week, I've thought, "They will never be the same" and here you typed those very same words. Today is Birth Mother's Day and we spent the day with Marin's birthmother and my thoughts and heart were in two places today...here with her and there with you. Our circumstances are very different but yet in many ways, I know what is in your heart and head and you will in fact, never be the same. Meeting them was a gift you will treasure for the rest of your life. I am SO glad this is part of your story. I love you all!
Amy Leng
I have been so emotional since reading about the parents. I too am feeling humbled. I am still amazed at how God speaks to us. Since your referral I have been praying for the birth parents. Sherry, I mentioned this to you before. God caused my heart to feel heavy every time I thought of them because I believed that they must really love their children to be able to give them up. I know now that the Holy Spirit was urging me to pray for them and their beautiful love for their children and the pain that they would go through. I am still trying to process it all. I don't know why God chose us to live such blessed lives materially while others struggle so, but I believe, because they are His children, too, that they may have blessings we can't begin to understand because we are so blinded by all the glitter in our lives.
I've tried to call with no success. I'm not sure the number you gave on the blog is correct. When I tried it, a recording starts as soon as I dial 00 and says only direct dial numbers are permitted. I've been told that 011 is an international access code. I contacted the consumer service number for the calling card. They told me the code for Ethiopia is 251, to dial 011 then Ethiopian code then hotel number. I get a recording saying theEthiopian code has changed. So I am trying to reach you with a comment on your blog. Trying to figure blogging out. This is the 4th time. Lost my message first 3 times.
Meanwhile, I know you are wanting info on your sweet, sweet boy. Kaden is doing great!! He's happy, eating well, napping well, playing hard, sleeping well except during a T-storm couple of nights ago. Never tires of playing "farm" or "food". He's fast becoming a great little chef. His farming ideas are hilarious at times. He couldn't wait to try the finger paints, but gave up on them pretty quickly and hasn't wanted to paint again. I think he didn't like the feel of the paint. He's put tog. the Hey Diddle Diddle puzzle over and over. Loves the same books over and over, too. He keeps talking about his brothers and sister and how he'll play with them. I could go on and on. He is sweet and funny and fun and wonderful.
God is going to bless you guys tomorrow and it's so special to be on Mothers' Day. I asked Kaden if he wanted to tell you anything. He said "just Hi".
Love you guys so very much and so very proud of all of you. Mom
Sherry and Family
I have no words after reading your post. Wow! I am in awe at your journey and find myself trying to process our own road ahead. We love you and are praying for you all.
I can't even imagine the emotions you must feel getting to meet your children's birth parents even before you meet you little ones. What a gift that will be forever and ever. You will get to instill the amount of LOVE the birth parents had for their precious children. It is hard for so many to understand the why and how someone could place their children .After you see what their life is like ,you see what a sacrifice it was for these birthparents to place them. They love them so much and want a life they cannot give them. You are the family God has chosen for them. What an HONOR to know God has chosen you to be their Mommy and Daddy to carry on their life on this earth.
We are so proud of you and all you have endured to bring them home. We can't wait to see you with your newest little Semlow members.
Please know we will fervently be praying for the hearts of the birth family. So thankful you were able to share about Jesus personally.
What a Mother's Day you are about to have.
Much love, Lisa and family
Kevin and Sherry,
Thank you so much for your honesty! Melissa and I were talking about your blog entry and trying to process it all. I wish we could give some platitude or pat answer, but there simply isn't one.
This morning an old song from Hillsong, called "I Will Never Be the Same Again" came to my mind. Here are the lyrics:
I will never be the same again,
I can never return, I've closed the door.
I will walk the path, I'll run the race
And I will never be the same again.
I will never be the same again,
I can never return, I've closed the door.
I will walk the path, I'll run the race
And I will never be the same again.
Fall like fire, soak like rain,
Flow like mighty waters, again and again.
Sweep away the darkness, burn away the chaff,
And let a flame burn to glorify Your name.
There are higher heights, there are deeper seas,
Whatever you need to do, Lord do in me.
The Glory of God fills my life,
And I will never be the same again.
Fall like fire, soak like rain,
Flow like mighty waters, again and again.
Sweep aways the darkness, burn away the chaff
And let a flame burn to glorify Your name.
Fall like fire, soak like rain,
Flow like mighty waters, again and again.
Sweep away the darkness, burn away the chaff,
And let a flame burn to glorify Your name.
I will never be the same again,
I can never return, I've closed the door.
I will walk the path, I will run the race
And I will never be the same again.
That is my prayer this morning (afternoon for you) for all of you and for the rest of us--let us all be changed to the point where we become the people God calls us to be.
I don't mean to be so wordy, but this quote from Kaj Munk also comes to mind (he said it before being martyred):
What is, therefore, our task today? Shall I answer: “Faith, hope, and love”? that sounds beautiful. But I would say - courage.
No, even that is not challenging enough to be the whole truth. Our task today is recklessness. For what we Christians lack is not psychology or literature… we lack a holy rage - the recklessness which comes from the knowledge of God and humanity.
The ability to rage when justice lies prostrate on the streets, and when the lie rages across the face of the earth … a holy anger about the things that are wrong in the world. To rage against the ravaging of God’s earth, and the destruction of God’s world.
To rage when little children must die of hunger, when the tables of the rich are sagging with food. To rage at the senseless killing of so many, and against the madness of militaries. To rage at the lie that calls the treat of death and the strategy of destruction peace.
To rage against complacency. To restlessly seek that recklessness that will challenge and seek to change human history until it conforms to the norms of the Kingdom of God.
You are being changed and it my fervent prayer that we, as your readers, are as well.
I think everyone prior to my post said the words and emotion's we're all feeling after reading about your day. I have a few words! WOW! Goose Bumps and Praise God!
What a day this will be! Happy Mother's Day!
Beth B.
Wow, friends we were blown away! God is amazing and how great is His love for you and for your precious children that he would bring you on this journey. We were ALL gathered around the computer for your updates yesterday and Chad and I would take turns reading aloud to the family but he had to take over-the tears began and then it was over for me!
I know it must have been so hard but we are so thankful God blessed you with the opportunity to meet their older sister. To see a Glimpse of Lydia "grown up" must have taken your breath away. We rejoiced to know the parents knew Jesus-the most wonderful gift of all! And you Semlows were being Jesus right in front of them-living out His love before their eyes!
His divine appointments leave us more and more in awe of Him. He is a great God, in all ways and great is His plan for us! We love you and are in prayer for this day-what a wonderful Mother's Day it will be-your arms finally full! In just a few short days your arms will be able to be wrapped around 6 children(can't wait to see Kaden in the middle!) Thank you for saying yes-it is blessing so many!
We would have emptied our pockets for Micah's family as well...I agree...it's as if a piece of the adoption-puzzle is missing when it comes to the ones left behind. But, God's ways are not our ways...His thoughts much much higher than ours...
It's so good to finally see you with your children!
Post a Comment