Sunday, May 17, 2009

We Made It !!!!

We are home. And it feels SOOO good. We are praising the Lord!!!

The trip home was brutal! I will spare you all of the details (because I'm too exhausted to type that long of a story) but it involved one kid bolting on us in the Addis airport when we were all loaded down with luggage and carryons; kids who were crying, hitting, trying to run away, refusing to walk, etc.; scolding by many Ethiopians - both for the kids who were misbehaving and by those who were questioning why we weren't taking care of our kids properly. Very, very humbling!

We all only got about 4 hours sleep during the whole 30 hours of traveling. I was throwing up and had diarrhea. Then my tongue swelled and turned black. I started getting panicky that my throat was going to swell closed and they had to talk to the captain about possibly diverting the flight. By God's grace there was a doctor on board who was able to help. It was probably an allergic reaction to medicine. When we were getting through customs in DC, which took about 2 1/2 hours, we ALL melted down. We were an absolute circus! In hind sight, we should have had it all on tape, because it would have made for great reality TV!

We are blessed that we were able to call home and rally some troops to come get us from Chicago and then help us with unpacking, dinner, laundry, playing with and bathing the kids, and just being our emotional support to tell us it IS going to get better! I would NOT have made it without you all!!!

The three new ones were all asleep by 8:00 last night. It is almost 6 am and they are all still sleeping. PTL!!!

His mercies are new every morning!

24 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

congratulations on surviving the trip. Being on your home turf will be easier....it WILL get easier and God will continue to equip you with the wisdom, patienc, and energy you need for each new day!!

Molly said...

Praise God!! Corinne and I texted throughout the day yesterday and I COULD NOT STAND being here knowing you guys needed help! I was like, "Well, Lord, there's nothing we can do! It's all gotta be YOU!!"

I texted Corinne and told her if you guys need help today to let me know. :)

Mary said...

Been checking your blog often for the "we made it" post. So thankful you are home and can now begin the settling in process. Just getting home was huge for us and each day will find you becoming more of a family and getting a routine down. Post when you can and let us know how it is going!

We hope to leave for Ethiopia on June 13!

kim said...

So glad you are home!!!!!!! We are praying on our end for things to change drastically and calm down now that you are in your own space. You are so BRAVE and I am so proud of you all for stepping out in faith for the Lord. Just remember He is still walking ahead of you on this.

Love you lots!!
Kim

Kari said...

PRAISE GOD YOU ARE HOME!!! We will pray and pray and pray today for rest, recovery & healing hearts.
We love you & we are here for you!!
xoxo

Renee' said...

I prayed for you so many times! My tongue turned black in ET too... I have a picture of it! For me though, I discovered it was the pepto tabs I took before bed.

It does get so much better. It is amazing what 2 weeks of being home, resting, and getting into a routine will do!!

Call me any time!!!

burnsfamily said...

Welcome Home Semlows! The kids are gorgeous!! Let us know if you need ANYTHING! We are always here to help!!!!!

~The Burns Family

Rob and Candy said...

welcome home! So glad you made it. Praying for you.
candy

Jenna said...

Praise God! I'm so happy you all are home! I'll be continually praying for this transition for all of you! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!
~Jenna Wieland
(309) 530-0259

Karen said...

Semlow - we are so thankful to hear you are HOME! We will be praying for you in the days ahead. The trip home IS indeed brutal! with love, Karen Wistrom

Kelly Semlow-Smith said...

Glad your home and hopefully getting some much needed rest! Praise God you had Corinne and Hollie with you. Let us know when want the girls and I to come and give you a break. We can give you a Sunday. We want to help!

Love you!

Pete Juvinall said...

It's so good to see you guys back! We'll be praying for rest and recovery over these next weeks. We love you guys! You've made it home!

Jaime said...

So happy to see that post! We are cheering you on from afar.

Sawickipedia said...

I second Molly's feelings. If there's ever anything I can do, let me know! It's so great to have you guys back in town. Still praying for you.

~So

Debi said...

Hi Semlows!
Welcome home. So glad that you made it!!
I am praying for the continued healing and adjustment.
You guys are so truly brave and couragious to take this huge step of blind faith. God will guide you in the unknown paths ahead. He knows the way- follow Him.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Kelly said...

OH MY!!!! What a journey you all have had!!! I am so glad that you are home and that you finally have your kids... I am praying for all of you!!!

Robin said...

Semlows,
I have been praying for you for quite some time and following your blog. I have never commented until now. I just wanted to encourage you that things will get better in time. We brought home our son Noah in December 2007- he was 2 years old at the time. He exhibited many of the behaviors that your children did - especially with regard to hoarding food and toys, and not wanting to take off his clothes for fear that all of these things would be taken from him. Our trip home also was brutal (although not quite as brutal as yours)...he screamed for all but 1 hour of the flight home. He had giardia and a double ear infection, and I think he was just flat out scared to death. But God is good, and over the course of a few months things began to improve drastically. You have such an amazing story - I am confident God has great things in store for you and your family. Be encouraged today, and know that people all over are praying for you. In Christ, Robin Wyatt

Nikki said...

Thinking of your family this morning and was glad to hear you made it home. We hear the flight home is grueling and it sounds like you agree. God will give you the strength for today. I don't want to give advice because I haven't walked in your shoes (yet!), but know that God will provide daily just as he provided the manna in ancient times. He has a beautiful, wonderful plan for your family.

Our court date is Wednesday for our three little ones!

BT said...

Wow. . .quite a journey thus far. I'm sending prayers for you and your family. I am hoping to travel to bring home my two from Ethiopia in mid-June, so your experience certainly helps me to emotionally prepare for what lies ahead (if that's at all possible)! God Bless You All!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin and Sherry! I read your whole account and it sure made me realize what you went through last week. I wish you some days of rest and relaxation, if that is possible, and that your new family grows together soon. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the pictures you took of my little lady whenever you get around to it, but the main thing is for you to get some rest and peace after a very tumultuous trip. Thanks for spending time with my baby.

Edith
AWAA

Amy Leng said...

Hi Sherry,
So glad you are all home. Marin and I have been praying for you every night at bed time. Your 3 new little ones have been on my mind so much! I even had a dream that you, me, and Lydia were just taking a stroll through some random airport having a great old time! Not a care in the world!! Anyway, would love to come meet the kids and catch up but I will gauge your readiness for company via your blog. Please know that until then, you are ALL in our daily prayers. I love you, Amy

Christy said...

Dear Semlows,

I've been following you for so long, and it's so great to know your family is together where it belongs. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!

BTW, I'm in no position to give advice, but there is a GREAT book "The Connected Child" by Purvis and Cross that gives practical, hands-on advice for adoptive parents desiring to correct and connect with their new children. It's in most libraries.

Again, I know the last thing you need is advice right now cause you're doing a great job, but thought I'd mention it - hope that's ok :).

All my prayers,
Christy Schraeder
mom to Mia, Ava and Kai, adopted from China 2005, 2006 and 2008
youbelong.net/schraeders

Chase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

We've been checking your blog often to see how it is going. Hope you can post an update soon. Our prayers have been with you!

Mary and Doug
(traveling in 3 weeks!)