Monday, March 21, 2011

Here She Is!

Well most importantly, I'll post pictures, since I know that's what you are all waiting for.










She is definitely a cutie! She was all smiles when she came out! We could see her behind the curtain before she came out, and so I waved at her. She started jumping all around and I could tell she was excited. We had the time to ask her nannies some questions, and one of the things I asked about was her favorite things to eat. She told them ice cream, choclate, candy, and milk. Oh boy! :) But they did say she isn't picky.

She is a little peanut and when we got back to the hotel, she started looking through her suitcase and wanted to change clothes. She had a definite opinion on things she did not want to wear. She picked out some little jeggings, an animal tshirt, and a blue jacket. (Hollie it was the one with the gold buttons that you picked for her. I think it's her favorite thing in the suitcase.)

She did come with a suitcase of gifts from the nannies that took care of her at the kindergarten, as well as a red envelope with a collection of money they had taken up for her. I think she was very well loved, and probably a little spoiled. She did, however, share her silly bands and candy with her friend Annie and Annie's sister Allie.

She did great for the first hour we were back at the hotel, and then it was like a light switch went off, and she got really sad. She was no longer interested in the toys or clothes and pointed at the door that she wanted to go. It was really sad! We asked her a few phrases in our attempt at Chinese, but really couldn't get to the emotions she was having. We did meet up with the Grimm's - Annies family - for dinner and that seemed to help a little, but she has definitely shut down. We will be back with our Chinese guide in the morning, so we'll see if she can help at all. I think it's all just part of the grieving process, but so hard to see her go through it, and not have any words to comfort her.

Despite her sadness, she is not shrugging off our touches, and she did let me give her a bath. I even got a giggle from her when I blew some of the bath bubbles. If I ask if I can hold her, she will shake her head no, and when I tried to sing her a song, she got up and walked to the other room (might have been the singing :). But she doesn't shrink back if we try to touch her. Kevin just laid on the bed with her for a few minutes and she is out.

A big day for her and for all of us! So that's about it before I fall asleep as I type. Things are going good so far. Thank you for all of your prayers!

20 comments:

kim said...

She is precious Sherry! I love the pics of you all with her. What these kiddos endure is so hard on them but God brought you to this point and he is still there with all of you as you gradually come together as family. Praying for all of you during this time. I can't wait to meet Mia this summer at Big C!

Pete Juvinall said...

Congratulations Semlows! Stay strong. She's so pretty. Can't wait to meet her :).

lisa K. said...

Such a gift to see her with you. Thankfully, you are well aware of the grieving process and know it will take TIME and you will get through it. She is precious and so cute to see her in her pigtails(just for her mama) Keep trusting and just take it hour by hour. Praying for you all as God binds yet another Semlow child in your family!

Love, The Kindred's

Teresa said...

Oh Sherry, she is beautiful. We will be praying for her and you as she goes through the grieving process. As hard as it is, you know it is actually a good thing and necessary. It means she was loved! Will pray for you to discern from the Holy Spirit exactly what she needs right now.
Love,
The Davis's

Irene said...

Oh Semlows - how precious to see her in your arms!!!! She is adorable!!!! Her smile is beautiful!! It made me laugh to read about her being picky about her outfit.....such a typical little girl!!! So funny!!

It's heartbreaking, isn't it, to see her grieve?? Even though you have experience with this, I know it's still hard to see. But you know it's a necessary process that God will walk you through again. We are praying that Mia will continue to allow you to touch and try to comfort her. Praying He will continue to bond you all together and help you communicate despite the language barrier.

On a side note.....Brooklyn spent some time with Hollie yesterday and really LOVED it! Your Hollie is awesome and is so sweet with my Brooklyn.

Love you all and will continue to pray for you all!!

The Shaws

Dr. Sarah said...

Amen! God is good. Such a different experience than your first one, eh? Just looking at those first pictures together. . .she's already a Semlow, through and through. She's beautiful. . .and you are all glowing. . .especially Corinne. . .I can't wait to see the first family picture with all of you! I'm sure she's running the gamut of emotions right now. I'll pray that the spirit will calm her heart and mind and let her let you love her with Christ's love (that was a lot of 'let!'). Oh, and, Sherry, I'm sure it WAS NOT your singing. . . ;-). We love you all!
SJ

Amy said...

Hey sweet friends! How beautiful that girl is! We are soaking in every detail of her! She looked clean and dressed so adorable. That is not always the case, as we well know, right? Evident that she has been loved. It will definitely help with her ability to attach, but bring a little more grief. Haddie was just praying that Mia would not feel scared. Haddie said she felt more scared than sad when we were in China. She also said it helped to here from the guides that we loved her very much and she would be with us forever. In fact, we would repeat the word "forever" in Chinese over and over to her.

Okay, I love that the girl knows what she wants to wear! AND...she tore right into those clothes! Watch out for those trips to the mall! Good thing she has a mama that knows how to bargain shop! She is a TRUE 9 year old girl!

I am also laughing about the singing! Oh Sherry, were you trying a "humdinger" on her???

I read Psalm 21 :6 this morning, which says, "Surely you have granted him (Mia) eternal blessings and made him (her) glad with the joy of your presence."

Love you!
Enjoy China! Make sure to try a green apple soda!!!! 7-11 has them...

the Garrisons said...

Sherry and family - What a precious sight to see Mia with your family - she is beautiful! Praying that our God will give you all peace and Mia comfort as she grieves and adjusts. He is good!d

Jennifer said...

Sooo excited for you! What a delight to see you and your precious Mia together. This morning, Matthew prayed specifically for Mia to feel safe. Grace prayed for her to feel your love and feel at home with you. Will keep the return flight details lifted up as well. :-)

Love,
The Sands

Marcy said...

Ok Kevis and Sherry, she is so cute and so blessed to be a part of the Semlow family. Praying for her adjustment to your family. How wonderful. Marcy

Rob and Candy said...

OH sweet friend, she is adorable. Praying for her greiving and the adjustment period. She must be going through so many emotions. Praise that she will let you touch her!! Even though she cannot understand the words she can understand the tone of your words as you try to comfort her. Praying for you all.
Hugs
candy

Pastor Jason said...

My goodness. I guess I just never had a good look at Mia until now. She really is a beautiful little girl.

As I was reading about her emotions (and yours) my mind went immediately to Ecclesiastes . . . "everything will become beautiful in it's time."

So many changes for little Mia. The idea of parents and a forever family has always been Mia's dream . . . always beautiful. Now the process of God making the Semlows beautiful in her eyes!

It's going to happen. What an amazing privilege you have . . . to become what scripture calls "the apple of her eye."

And let me be the first to say on this blog . . Parents of seven children . . . that's WAY cool!!!

Taylor B. said...

Oh Semlows!!! She's precious!! You all are glowing, even Mia!!!! So great to finally see her with you guys!
Praying for you all and sweet Mia as she goes through the grieving process!

Love,
Taylor

Sanders Family said...

Psalms 147:3-5
He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars
and calls them each by name.
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
his understanding has no limit.

Praying for you all! :)

-Elliot

tom and melissa said...

What a precious little girl. We are all so excited for you and praying for you. Praying God would give you the exact words and actions to meet Mia's needs at this time. He is faithful!
Waterson's

Molly said...

Praise God!!! She's beautiful! Praying for you guys! Keep sharing stories and pics!
Corinne, you should write a post about what this is like...would love to hear your heart as I picture you getting to know your sweet new sister :)

The Millers said...

She is so adorable. Sarah Beth and Gabriel were so excited to see her and want to know when she is coming home." Can she come home today?" SB said. She is so loved already.
I know it is hard but her sadness is a good thing and the fact that she will continue to allow you to hold and touch her is an answer to prayer. She is still struggling with trying to understand everything and she is afraid. We are praying that God will quiet her heart and give her peace. "The Lord your God is with you he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing." We love ya'll so much!!

Anonymous said...

Sherry,
I don't think I've ever seen you glow so much as in these photos! I love what Amy said about her needing to hear the word "forever". That just has to be true. I know if I heard you say that to me as a little girl, I would be pretty pumped! You're the most wonderful mother, and as soon as she figures that out she'll never want to let go of you!

I remember reading that it is the most natural and appropriate behavior for an older child to not want you to touch her. ( although painful) It would be like a stranger coming up to you and saying he loves you and expect that you would want him to hold you- ugh! Weird! And so, those initial days and weeks together will feel a little more business-like, just taking care of her basic physical needs. Then when she is ready, she will initiate those small steps towards intimacy on her terms and she will safely become
yours forever!
We will pray God will expedite that process!
Love you much! Laura

Anonymous said...

I showed Lydia the pictures of Mia with you and read to her what you wrote. Her first comment was "pretty!" When I asked her what she wanted to tell you about Mia she said to tell you that "she's pretty and her clothes are pretty too!" Lydia is doing great! She hasn't cried, disobeyed or had any nightmares. She's eating great, talking all the time, playing with Kailee for hours each day, helping feed and take care of Kolt(she doesn't like to look when I change his diaper because he's "naked"). She falls asleep fast and sleeps through the night with no accidents and wakes up at 8 ready to play. She's taking her medicines, brushing her own teeth and dressing herself everyday. I can't believe how awesome, grown up and delightful she is! We are truly loving having her here especially Kailee who is blossoming in her role as a "big sister" to Lydia. Lydia follows Kailee everywhere, does what she does and always obeys her. They are wonderful together!! We are praying for the whole family daily!!!!! Love, Jen

Team Dragovich said...

Semlow family-- I am so humbled and in awe of how you have answered this call to adopt again. I can't express any better the other comments; in fact I was encouraged by many of them myself! Your family is truly a picture of Christ's love. I am praying that God hold you all during Mia's grieving, and this new transition; that your family will come to be stronger and more bonded and united than ever before!
Much Love,
Shari Dragovich